Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Dutch Walk versus Filipino Walk
How does a Dutch walk?

How does a Filipino walk?

I did not know how I walk until someone told me.

I saw it more and felt the urge to change the way I walk when RAFI ((Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc.) had some young Dutch visitors (PiDeX delegates) recently. The theme of this year’s PiDeX was centered on youth integration and I had the opportunity to be a part of it. This was the time when I was able to see the difference of how Filipinos and Dutch walk.

Tired and exhausted that day from the series of activities and challenges each participant had to pass, everyone, except for the Dutch participants, had to walk leisurely while enjoying the beauty of the surroundings. It was a quick and inexpensive way to revive one`s energy and spirit.

On the way back to our base camp, a Dutch participant looked back to the others behind him and asked, “Do you know Dutch walk?” Excited as they were, they asked him to show how a Dutch walks. He then stooped down to the ground as he started to walk quickly as if he was sprinting without saying a word!

Everyone smiled and even others laughed. And we continued to walk s-l-o-w-l-y.

Which walk do you think reaches the destination and touches the goal first?

I do want to reach the destination and touch the goal first but that would mean walking not in a Filipino way.

How about you? How do you walk?


                                                        Analyn Villa (YMA 4- Generation I)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment